Calling all Lonely Hearts!
Valentine’s Day can be difficult, especially this year, when a lot of us are still distancing from family and friends. Maybe you’re alone, maybe you’d rather be alone, maybe you’re in a bad relationship, maybe you had to say goodbye to your life partner… Or maybe you’re perfectly happy in love! Whatever your story is, come join us for a fun, fast, easy knitalong!
After the whirlwind of knitting that was the Twelve Days of Knitmas (I still can’t believe some of you knit that enormous shawl in twelve days!), we decided that you’re all in need of an instant-gratification project.
Who: Knitters! This pattern is appropriate for beginners and up. If you can cast on, knit, and purl, you’ll be just fine.
What: A quick knitalong to keep you company on Valentine’s Weekend.
Where: In our Facebook group, Knit the World, and on Instagram using #LonelyHeartsClubKAL (make sure to use the hashtag in at least one post in our FB group, or at least one public post on IG to enter to win prizes).
When: Starting on February 13th and ending on February 15th.
Why: To be part of something fun with a wonderful group of fellow knitters. To knit an entire project start-to-finish in three days. And prizes.
- Download the Lonely Hearts Club Hat pattern on Ravelry.
- Choose your yarn and pom pom (while you do a little happy dance):
- one skein of bulky weight yarn (70 – 100 yards, depending on size).
- buy yourself a Valentine’s gift of a Happiness in a Hat Kit or go stash diving for that single skein of bulky that’s been calling your name.
- Gather your needles and notions:
- US 10/ 6.0mm or size to obtain gauge, in 16”/ 40cm circular and DPNs (or preferred needles for small circumference), and US 9/ 5.5mm or 0.5mm smaller than gauge needle, in 16”/ 40cm circular.
- tapestry needle, 6 – 10 stitch markers, pom pom (optional).
- Check your gauge:
- 16 sts and 20 rnds = 4”/ 10cm over Stockinette stitch.
- Wait anxiously for cast-on day.
Have fun, pour a drink (water, tea, coffee, alcohol – all and more are welcome), and relax. At the end of the day, it’s just sticks and string, and it’s just one project. Our group is not at all spammy, and our only hard-fast and true rule is to be kind. Any unkind members will be booted immediately, without a second chance. General snark is accepted and even encouraged, but personal or political snark or racism of any kind are an absolute no-go.
If you’ve read this far, but are feeling overwhelmed at the thought of doing one more thing, or knitalongs just aren’t your thing, join in as a cheerleader! Throw out a like or a love or even a comment here and there as encouragement.
From our hearts to yours,
Becky & Melissa